Friday, December 2, 2016

President Letter to the University

I feel as though the President's letter did not hold much weight to students. First of all, because it was novel length, I could barely read through it and all the wording made me feel like "Wait, what am I reading again?" I just feel as though she felt she needed to release some type of statement. No matter if students understood or not. I honestly feel like the wordiness of the letter was to confuse and undermine us. Make us feel like "Oh, she is doing something," when in reality nothing has been accomplished, only words have been written. However, I do feel like the President is in a tough position, people want her to take a stance but their are so many stances in San Marcos its pretty much impossible for her to choose one without offending anyone. She is trying to remain neutral, with emotions running so high, this neutral stance can be viewed as nonchalance. She is in a difficult position, but it is her duty to lead the University even through the roughest times.

2 comments:

  1. I felt the exact same way when I read that e-mail. It was like she was talking in a circle with no actual meaning. None of the things she said held any weight and even her "ways to help" didn't mean much. It's almost more insulting that she said something with no meaning than if she just wouldn't have said anything at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For some reason I did not get the letter until after class when it was mentioned, so I was on the bus going home so I had a chance to read it, but i do agree she just sent it out because she felt like had say something. But like y'all both have mentioned she did not really say anything but repeat herself, but did not find ways to help since nothing has been reported. Which my friend who was assaulted did report his incident. But I also see how it is hard for her to say things without picking a side, because I feel if she defended a side we would be here also saying how that was not okay.

    ReplyDelete